I spent a lot of time working on the formatting of my first book, Seasons of Imagination. I downloaded a template, but it did horrid things to the book. So I wrote down all of the settings that they used for formatting, like margin and gutter and such. Sticking those into my original document was better. Finally I had it.
But when I received the first copy, it was awful. So I redid it. And it was better. Good enough.
Or so I thought.
After I put out The Halley Branch, someone who had read all three in paperback noticed an issue. A big issue (I won’t tell you. Find it yourself ;) ). So when I started working on Embers, I made sure I fixed it first thing.