You are never too big to show compassion and no act of kindness is too small to pass up. That is how I began and ended my time with the #1000Speak campaign. Although I have written many posts that had compassion as an underlying theme, for the last month I’ve purposefully focused on it. I’ve brought it up at least a couple of times a week and have written several posts just about my thoughts.
Although today is the day for posts about compassion, I won’t stop putting some up. Compassion is not something you do once in a while, it needs to be a lifestyle. And as any lifestyle it needs to be part of who you are. I don’t give to charities for a tax break, I give because I believe in them. I don’t show compassion because of some philosophical or religious idea, I live compassion because it is who I am. I believe in it.
A few things I’ve seen and thought about today:
- Compassion is for everyone. It is for those who we disagree with. It is for those who we are told are our enemies.
- We should not take on the burden of trying to change the entire world, but we can try to change the world of those around us by showing compassion
- If we concentrate on only the big things while ignoring the small things we are doing it for our ego, we are not showing compassion.
- A side effect of compassion is that it makes us feel good about ourselves. You may start showing compassion to help yourself feel better, but it works best when you do it for its own sake.
- We should never show compassion expecting to be rewarded in any way, shape or form.
- We are all human.
- As Joni Mitchell said, we are stardust. Being the stuff of stars we need to shine.
- Not the same as empathy or altruism, Compassion combines the ideas into the desire to end the suffering of others, the desire to help
- Everyone is broken in some way. We’ll never be whole alone, but together we can get a little closer.
- When someone isn’t behaving how you might expect, understand that it might be their way to cope with that “brokenness” of the last point.
The day is young, I’m sure I’ll have more thoughts on the subject.
I wanted to list the posts I wrote specifically about compassion in this last month. I’m skipping the handful that were more like ads for this event or that were mostly concerned about other topics and concentrate only on those that were 100% about compassion.
- Never too Big – This post started it for me
- Never too Small – Other than this recap, this was my last post
- When Left Meets Right in Prison
- Can One Person Change the World (repost)
- How Can…?
- The Self-Aware Journey
- A Better Place
- Gwenda (short Fiction) (repost)
For the past month I’ve had a personal vision of compassion that I’ve been sharing on most of my posts on the subject.
Empathy is the glue that holds society together and compassion is what makes a group of people a civilization. Without holding our hands out to our fellow humans we become savages. We are all in this together, in a closed system, so we must all help each other. How lonely life must be for those selfish people who don’t realize this simple truth! How lonely for anyone who doesn’t realize that all are our brothers and sisters! How lonely must the self-righteous be!
As I said, I plan on continuing to write about compassion. I hope some of you will join me in doing the same!
It’s not too late for those on this side of the Atlantic, you can still participate! Please join us today by blogging and tweeting about compassion. See the 1000 Voices Speak blogsite and the Facebook page.
You can add your links or see others at the “linky”